Position: Applications Scientist – Cell & Gene Therapy
Reports to: Applications Manager
Position Location: Company HQ in Suburban Philadelphia, PA
The Application Scientist will be responsible for major contributions to both the Applications, Market Development, Business Development, and Product Development teams that will take this game-changing technology platform from beta product to commercialization. In the immediate term, the candidate will be responsible for method development of applications relevant to cell & gene therapy. These assays include (but are not limited to) oligonucleotides, mRNAs, and AAVs. This position offers the candidate the opportunity to help bring new technology into the Life Science application space. The position requires a highly motivated person with a reputation for integrity and accountability with sound technical and interpersonal skills. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter and independent contributor with a strong operational focus.
HRIM SLIM Operation - for pharma and academic: FFS, collaborations, marketing material, etc.
External Engagement & Interaction
(1) HRIM SLIM Operation
- Work in support of our Market & Product Development team and alongside current Application Scientists.
- Working within an interdisciplinary team of engineering, applications development, and operational employees to achieve strategic, operational, and technical objectives in a manner that ensures the product performance meet customer needs.
- Increase the breadth and quality of analyses based SLIM technology, primarily in the biopharmaceutical space focusing on cell and gene therapy applications.
- Operate SLIM instrumentation on multiple mass spectrometry platforms to generate meaningful and valuable data sets.
- Operate and evaluate product prototypes, laboratory/beta units, and production units as Product Development makes product improvements and advancements.
- Process and interpret ion mobility and mass spectrometry data.
- Execute method development, sample analysis, data processing, data report generation, design of experiment creation, and report out to internal team members for cell and gene therapy related applications.
- Work with software developers to provide user requirements for GUIs, method algorithms, and data analysis programs to support large molecule applications.
- Coordinate with the R&D, Market Development, applications team, and stakeholders to create innovative and effective cell and gene therapy-related data sets as product improvement features are advanced.
- Assist with development of validation workflows for new large molecule and cell and gene therapy applications.
- Run and assist application days held at MOBILion’s facility.
- Training of the various personnel both internal and external.
- Continual literature review for relevant applications, competitive information, and peer-reviewed journal articles.
- Adhere to policies, procedures, and protocols to ensure compliance with regulatory and industry standards and practices.
(2) External Engagement & Interaction
- Support sales as field technical and subject matter expert
- Attend and present at industry conferences to help create SLIM advocates.
- Collect data to compose journal submissions, external presentation material, and create marketing content.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelors in analytical chemistry, chemistry, biology, or engineering. An advanced degree in these or related disciplines is a plus.
- 3+ years of experience using mass spectrometry for biologics analyses.
- Experience in cell and gene therapy workflows is a must.
- Expertise in liquid chromatography (HPLC & UHPLC) and mass spectrometry (high resolution) method development. Ion mobility method development is a plus.
- Self-starter, with a hands-on, “roll-up-the-sleeves” mentality, and the ability to define and execute application development on time.
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with the technical team when needed.
- Exceptional critical thinking skills: ability to decompose complex problems, prioritize issues, and implement sensible solutions.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to speak, present and write clearly and accurately, particularly as it relates to technical concepts.
- Ability to work independently in the laboratory, including: experiment design, sample preparation, operation of scientific equipment, and data interpretation.
- Strong background in data analysis, including statistics and spectral interpretation.
- Interest in interacting with customers and prospective customers.
- Occasional travel as needed.
- Ability to work in the United States.
Cultural, Behavioral and General Characteristics
- Work standards/high work ethic – initiative and drive
- Self-sufficient, self-driven, self-motivated
- Ability to quickly learn SLIM technology and apply it
- Ability to think through complex issues and solve problems
- Desire to share information and support a transparent culture
- Technical translation