Position: Applications Scientist
Reports to: Applications Manager
Position Location: Company HQ in Suburban Philadelphia, PA
Work Authorization: Must be authorized to work in the United States
The Application Scientist will be responsible for major contributions to the Applications, Business Units, and Product Development teams that will take our HRIM platform to support commercial success. In the immediate term, the candidate will be responsible for method development of applications aligned to support our strategic Business Unit objectives through new applications proof of concept (PoC) studies, collaborations, demos, and new product development support. This role will also serve as a liaison between our customers and variety of MOBILion teams by providing hands-on customer training and pre- and post-sales support. This position offers the candidate the opportunity to help bring new technology into the Life Science application space. The position requires a highly motivated person with a reputation for integrity and accountability with sound technical and interpersonal skills. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter and independent contributor with a strong operational focus.
HRIM SLIM Operation – New application PoC, collaborations, demos, product development support.
External Engagement & Interaction
(1) HRIM SLIM Operation
- Working within an interdisciplinary team of engineering, applications development, and operational employees to achieve strategic, operational, and technical objectives in a manner that ensures the product performance meet customer needs.
- Increase the breadth and quality of analyses based SLIM technology, primarily in the biopharmaceutical space.
- Operate SLIM instrumentation on mass spectrometry platforms to generate meaningful and valuable data sets through new applications proof of concept evaluations.
- Operate and evaluate product prototypes, laboratory/beta units, and production units as Product Development makes product improvements and advancements.
- Process and interpret ion mobility and mass spectrometry data.
- Perform demos for customers supporting the Commercialization team and sales of SLIM technology, highly focused on, but not limited to, large molecule applications.
- Demo support includes method development, sample analysis, data processing, data report generation, demo presentation, demo on instrumentation (live and virtual)
- Training of the various personnel both internal and external.
- Continual literature review for relevant applications, competitive information, and peer-reviewed journal articles.
- Adhere to policies, procedures, and protocols to ensure compliance with regulatory and industry standards and practices.
(2) External Engagement & Interaction
- Support sales as field technical and subject matter expert
- Provide training to all customers on system use including hardware, software, data acquisition, and data processing.
- Work with customer to provide support and resolve issues as expeditiously as possible.
- Attend and present at industry conferences to help create SLIM advocates.
- Collect data to compose journal submissions, external presentation material, and create marketing content.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelors in analytical chemistry, chemistry, biology, or engineering. An advanced degree in these or related disciplines is a plus.
- 3-5+ years of experience using mass spectrometry for biopharmaceutical/large molecule analyses in industry.
- Additional expertise into one additional field such as cell and gene therapy and/or omics is preferred.
- Expertise in liquid chromatography (HPLC & UHPLC) and mass spectrometry (high resolution) method development. Ion mobility method development is a plus.
- Self-starter, with a hands-on, “roll-up-the-sleeves” mentality, and the ability to define and execute application development on time.
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with the technical team when needed.
- Exceptional critical thinking skills: ability to decompose complex problems, prioritize issues, and implement sensible solutions.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to speak, present and write clearly and accurately, particularly as it relates to technical concepts.
- Ability to work independently in the laboratory, including: experiment design, sample preparation, operation of scientific equipment, and data interpretation.
- Strong background in data analysis, including statistics and spectral interpretation.
- Interest in interacting with customers and prospective customers.
- Willingness to travel as needed (~25%)
- Ability to work in the United States
- Willing to relocate to the Chadds Ford, PA region.
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
Cultural, Behavioral and General Characteristics
- Work standards/high work ethic – initiative and drive
- Self-sufficient, self-driven, self-motivated
- Ability to quickly learn SLIM technology and apply it
- Ability to think through complex issues and solve problems
- Desire to share information and support a transparent culture
- Technical translation