Senior Mechanical Engineer
Job Level: P4
Work Location(s): Chadds Ford, PA (Greater Philadelphia Area)
Relocation Assistance: Ineligible
Visa Sponsorship: Ineligible
At MOBILion Systems, you’ll join a dynamic team committed to positively impacting healthcare by commercializing products that help people and save lives. Our products provide unprecedented sensitivity, resolution, and throughput that fuel the development of better therapeutics, the ability to detect disease earlier, and the power to attack diseases at their roots instead of their symptoms. Our technology reveals what others leave unseen!
This is an opportunity to join an outstanding and growing team with an inclusive culture that delivers meaningful insights to the entire company!
Mechanical engineers work in multidisciplinary project teams and are responsible for designing, building, and testing the mechanical components that make up the design of MOBILion’s instrumentation products. The Senior Mechanical Engineer will work closely with the product development team to design components and systems that meet engineering requirements. The senior mechanical engineer will see the design of a part or system from conception all the way through to commercial release.
- Work with the internal and external engineering teams to design, build, and test the mechanical components of SLIM instrumentation to meet DFMA guidelines.
- Design machined, sheet metal, and injection molded parts and work with suppliers to manufacture them.
- Perform structural and fluid simulation modeling.
- Assist the Instrument Systems Engineer in the development and execution of system test plans.
- Perform initial and ongoing design reviews.
- Perform engineering calculations to support design work
- Learn mass spectrometry technology and how to operate the SLIM instrument.
- Work within an interdisciplinary team of engineering, applications development, and operational employees to achieve strategic, operational, and technical objectives in a manner that ensures the product performance meets customer needs.
- Deliver documentation offering a critical analysis and suggestions for correcting errors.
- Create complete and accurate documentation including engineering drawings with GD&T, Bill of Materials and Build instructions for all design using SolidWorks. Generate manufacturing documentation.
- Support in-house build and assembly of the product from proof-of-concept (POC) phase through production.
- Design components of functional systems and modify existing design to develop or improve products and manufacturability
- Proficiency in SolidWorks CAD and working knowledge of SolidWorks PDM administration experience.
- Provide CAD support for engineers and scientists throughout the organization.
- Involved in multiple projects simultaneously with projects at different stages at any given time. Should be able to provide supervision of junior engineers as required.
- Coordinate with outside vendors, contract manufacturers and consulting firms.
- Contribute to the development of project budgets and timelines.
- Minimum BSME discipline with 5+ years design experience
- Ability to work independently with little technical assistance and collaborate with product management and the technical team when needed.
- Experience with structural and fluid simulation modeling.
- Knowledgeable of Design for Manufacturability encompassing sheet metal, injection molding and machining operations through coordination with supplier and internal team members.
- Experience with FEA, DFMA and flow simulation software (I.e., COMSOL, SolidWorks).
- Self-motivated, detail oriented, able to work independently on multiple projects with minimal supervision. Provide clear and concise updates.
- Liaising with interdepartmental team members and outside suppliers. Experience working in cross-functional team.
- Self-starter, with a hands-on, roll-up-the-sleeves mentality, and the ability to define and execute project objectives and priorities on time and on budget.
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes, testing and trouble shooting skills.
- Experience designing and building electromechanical devices.
- Report progress and status of assigned projects on a timely basis with emphasis on reporting results to the Mechanical Engineering Manager.
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Experience with metrology techniques.
- Medical device design experience.
- Knowledge of product certification processes (e.g., UL, CE, FCC, TUV).
- Someone who considers themselves a “Maker”, hobbyist, or tinkerer.
- He/she must have an intellectual curiosity and be active in the company by observing and asking questions to learn.
- Occasional travel as needed.
- Interested in electrical engineering, physics, and chemistry.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our passion to positively impact healthcare. We foster amazing teams and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and shared successes. We’ve also got amazing benefits!
- Healthcare insurance for employees and their families
- Rich 401(k) offering with Company match
- Annual bonus potential
- Employee Stock Ownership program
- Generous paid time off benefits with paid year-end business closure
- Flexible work arrangements
- Onsite fitness center
- Free snacks and beverages
- Energetic & inclusive culture
MOBILion Systems is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.