Position: Software Development Manager – Instrument Control
Reports to: Director of Software Development
Position Location: Company HQ in Suburban Philadelphia, PA
We are seeking an energetic, motivated, and experienced Software Development Manager to join our growing company in developing and commercializing a disruptive technology in the mass spectrometry instrumentation space. This person should be comfortable working in a dynamic fast-paced company setting.
This position calls for a seasoned software engineering manager with broad knowledge of software development practices, and experience developing Linux hosted system and application software. The Software Development Manager will lead our software development activities and manage outside design firms to support software development projects.
- Manage and guide the development of software used in MOBILion’s products that configures and controls data acquisition instruments being designed, developed and commercialized by the company.
- Manage both internal and external teams to design, develop, test, and maintain data acquisition instrumentation software.
- Contribute and advise the software development team in conjunction with the Director of Software Development on architectural designs of the instrument control and data acquisition software.
- Stay abreast of software development best practices and industry state-of-the-art technologies, techniques and processes for interfacing with scientific instruments along with data acquisition and processing techniques.
- Work closely with the Director of Software Development, Data Processing Software Manager and Software Quality Assurance Manager to align development activities and keep projects on budget and schedule.
- Work closely with the Electrical Engineering Manager and the Director of Engineering to integrate the software being developed into the systems being developed by the company.
- Advise management regarding strategic development decisions and provide feasibility assessments related to project proposals. Responsible for PDLC for software product suite, including adherence to company Quality Management System requirements.
- Identify, contract, and manage outside design firms to support execution of software development projects.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field.
- 5+ years managing a software development team.
- 10+ years’ experience in software development, design and support for a variety of software applications. Instrument control and data acquisition, processing, indexing, manipulation and visualization a plus.
- Experience developing software running on Linux.
- Experience with Docker, Hypervisors and AWS.
- Demonstrated ability to manage software development teams, including third party contracts.
- Experience with Waterfall, Agile and Hybrid methods, software development lifecycle management, and build and release management including test-driven development and continuous integration (e.g. Circle CI or Jenkins).
- Demonstrated track record of managing technical projects.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to speak and write clearly and accurately, particularly as it relates to technical concepts.
- Ability to work in the United States.
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Understanding of common software design patterns, client server architectures and the use of microservices along with publish/subscribe messaging techniques.
- Knowledge of AI / ML / concurrent, parallel and/or distributed data processing/analysis techniques and technologies.
- Experience with Mass spectrometry data processing and visualization a plus.
- Experience with Linux systems programming, device drivers and networking.
- Self-starter, with a hands-on, roll-up-the-sleeves mentality.
- He/she must possess an intellectual curiosity, a creative mind, and be active in the company by observing and asking questions to learn.
- Director of Software Development
- Software Development Manager – Data Processing
- Software Developers
- Software Quality Assurance Manager and Engineers
- Electrical Engineers
- Systems Engineers
- Product Managers
- Project Manager
- Software Developers
- Software Quality Assurance Engineers
- Hardware Vendors
- Electrical Engineers
Cultural, Behavioral and General Characteristics
- Work standards/high work ethic – initiative and drive
- Innovativeness & creativity
- Self-sufficient, self-driven, self-motivated (work with minimal supervision): figure it out
- Ability to quickly learn SLIM technology and apply it
- Ability to think through complex issues and solve problems
- Desire to share information and support a transparent culture
- Technical translation